I’ve compiled a list of songs that contain both the best and worst lyrics to hear after you’ve set your single feet back on the ground.
Good songs are the ones that either reinforce the fact that you’ll move on and be okay, or that you are better off without the other person.
1. Brand New- “Seventy Times Seven” First, this is one of my favorite songs. Rough, honest, and just plain emotionally cruel. Great song to get over someone. Imagine this as a breakup at a party. On New Year’s Eve.
And is that what you call tact?
You’re as subtle as a brick in the small of my back.
So let’s end this call, and end this conversation.
and is that what you call a getaway?
Well tell me what you got away with.
cause you left the frays from the ties you severed
when you say best friends means friends forever.
2. Beyonce-“Irreplaceable” A great song that makes the listener want to stand up and snap their fingers, as if to say, “You go girl.” (Guys, don’t do this. You look stupid.)
So since I’m not your everything
How about I’ll be nothing
Nothing at all to you
Baby I wont shed a tear for you
I won’t lose a wink of sleep
Cause the truth of the matter is
Replacing you is so easy
3. Mariah Carey-“Shake it Off” It’s a grand message from the R&B queen herself. She’s movin’ on and you should to.
By the time you get this message it’s gonna be too late
So don’t bother pagin’ me ’cause I’ll be on my way
See I packed up my diamonds and clothes,
Just ask your mama she knows
You’re gonna miss me baby hate to say I told you so
4. Taking Back Sunday- “Cut from the Team” Taking Back Sunday is known for their blisteringly emotional lyrics. This is a sadder song, but from an angry perspective. Belt this out at your own risk. You may lose your voice.
Don’t bother trying to explain Angel
I know exactly what goes on when you’re on and
How about I’m outside of your window
(how about I’m outside of your window)
Watchin’ him keep the details covered
You’re such a sucker (you’re such a sucker)
for a sweet talker, yeah
5. Bif Naked- “I died” An angry “chick rock” song about a woman who “just took it” during a breakup. Silently moves on, as if to say “you don’t even deserve the things I want to say.”
I died eating french fries
in the restaurant on the corner,
where you broke me heart.
I cried ’cause I bit my tongue
knowing the truth would wash over you
like a rash.
I hereby use my glacier water
to wash away the remorse and the stain.
behind these eyes I’m my mother’s daughter.
hard, hidden shame
and you’ll never see me again
6. Avenged Sevenfold-“Afterlife” Known for their unusually hard love songs, A7x as they are called wrote this song about moving on from a bad situation with the hopes that the other person will eventually come back. Great song.
I don’t belong here, I gotta move on, dear
Escape from this afterlife
Cause this time I’m right to move on and on
Far away from here
Got nothing against you and surely I’ll miss you
This place full of peace and light
And I’d hope you might take me back inside
When the time is right
7. Lara Fabian-“I will love again” Lara wrote this one hit wonder about seeking out love again. Be strong, be sassy, and love this.
I will love again
Though my heart is breaking, I will
Stronger than before
I will love again
Even if it takes a lifetime to get over you
8. Dashboard Confessional-“Vindicated” A really hopeful song that seems to say “Yeah, I had problems, but I am fixing this and everything you saw in me, I do too…so eat it…please.” (It’s emo.)
I am selfish, I am wrong
I am right, I swear I’m right
Swear I knew it all along
And I am
But I am cleaning up so well
I am seeing in me now
The things you swore you saw yourself
Heaven only knows, I will love again
Bad songs are the ones that hit your heart like a dagger and are driven deeper and deeper with every passing verse. You remember that guy that gets wasted at the bar and belts these out while relieving himself in the corner? He’s been single since he was 15 and he just couldn’t stop listening to these songs.
1. Anything by R Kelly. He’s taken love out of relationships and turned it purely sexual. Why should you come back? For the sex.. Why did he leave? Fighting got in the way of sex.. Why should you leave your new happiness? For the sex.. He loves you because of sex. And maybe because you’re underage.
2. Bob Dylan-“Trying to Get to Heaven” No one says “kill me” like Dylan. This song reeks of depression..and mothballs.
Gonna sleep down in the parlor
And relive my dreams
I’ll close my eyes and I wonder
If everything is as hollow as it seems
Some trains don’t pull no gamblers
No midnight ramblers, like they did before
I been to Sugar Town, I shook the sugar down
Now I’m trying to get to heaven before they close the door
3. Richard Marx-“Hold on to the Night” I saw many girls in my junior high run into the bathroom crying with a bottle of aspirin (to “end it”) while this song played at our dances. Guys, don’t ever break up with a woman to this song. Her friends will hate you for the rest of your life. They won’t even let you come into the bathroom to talk to her.
Hold onto the night
Hold onto the memories
If only I could give you something more
Well, I think that I’ve been true to everybody else but me
and the way I feel about you makes my heart long to be free
Every time I look into your eyes I’m helplessly aware
That the someone I’ve been searching for is right there…
4. Various Artists-“Hallelujah” (I like Rufus Wainright’s the best) Jeff Buckley, Rufus, and a gob of others have done this song and each time it gets more and more depressing. It’s basically a soundtrack to have while you’re driving to the bridge that you’re planning to hurl yourself off of.
Baby I have been here before
I know this room, I’ve walked this floor
I used to live alone before I knew you.
I’ve seen your flag on the marble arch
Love is not a victory march
It’s a cold and it’s a broken Hallelujah
5. Crosby Still & Nash-“Love the One You’re With” What the hell? If you’ve been broken up with or especially, cheated on (gasp), this is NOT the song you want to hear. The thought of your boyfriend looking over at some woman (that has all of the qualities you lack) then jumping her bones, is not a thought you want to enter your mind at your point of healing. A good tip: If you’re stuck listening to this song, think of ugly ass David Crosby trying to get it on. Always good for a laugh.
Turn your heartache
right into joy
She’s a girl, you’re a boy,
Get it together make it nice
Ain’t gonna need anymore advice.
Well, there’s a rose in a fisted glove
And the eagle flies with the dove
And if you can’t be with the one you love
Love the one you’re with
6. Chicago-“Look Away” Do you remember the “single since 15 guy” I mentioned at the beginning? This was the song he filled a mixtape with to start his downward spiral. Imagine days of laying on your couch with a case of Hamm’s Beer and singing this song in between crying and passing out.
But if you see me walking by,
And the tears are in my eyes,
Look away, baby, look away.
If we meet on the streets someday,
And I dont know what to say,
Look away, baby, look away.
Don’t look at me;
I don’t want you to see me this way.
7. Rolling Stones-“Angie” A great song from a great band, but DAMN is it depressing.
With no loving in our souls and no money in our coats
You cant say were satisfied
But Angie, I still love you, baby
Everywhere I look I see your eyes
There ain’t a woman that comes close to you
8. Frank Sinatra- “In the wee small hours of the morning” The Chairman really sticks the knife in deep when he sings these lyrics. Grab your scotch, it’ll be a long night..and you’ll be sweeping up broken things in the morning.
When your lonely heart has learned its lesson
You’d be hers if only she would call
In the wee small hours of the morning
That’s the time you miss her most of all
9. U2-“With or Without You” A damned if I do, damned if I don’t song. Little known fact: Listening to this song on an Ipod will actually make your eardrums cry.
See the stone set in your eyes
See the thorn twist in your side
I wait for you
Sleight of hand and twist of fate
On a bed of nails she makes me wait
And I wait without you
With or without you
With or without you
10. Taylor Swift-“White Horse” This is the end part of the song, which is actually the most upbeat part of the entire thing. Holy Hannah, is this a depressing song, and from a teenager? She hasn’t even seen the worse yet. It’s rumored that after Joe Jonas breaks her heart, she’ll actually write a song that will actually shatter the heart of the listener. Watch out.
Cause I’m not your princess, this ain’t a fairytale
I’m gonna find someone someday who might actually treat me well
This is a big world, that was a small town
There in my rear view mirror disappearing now
And its too late for you and your white horse
Now its too late for you and your white horse, to catch me now
So there’s the list. Listen at your own risk. I don’t want to read about someone standing on the Hennepin bridge with a bottle of scotch, and Ipod, and crying eardrums on New Year’s Eve because someone broke up with them at a party.